Monday, August 13, 2007

Hokkien Liyuan Opera: Li Yaxian

I went for Siong Leng Musical Association's "Li Yaxian" performance last Saturday afternoon, and the melody of Liyuan opera is still in my mind. Sad to say, not many people around me, including those who are into Chinese opera, are able to appreciate such opera, most claiming it to be too slow-paced.

Siong Leng's version of "Li Yaxian", despite having said to incorporate a modern-day character and some contemporary drama elements inside, is still rather traditional. The role of the modern-day character, a photographer, is somewhat a narrator to the different excerpts of the show (some scenes were snipped to make the show more concise). Along the way, this photographer "interviewed" the actors playing the various roles with regards to the show. I think this part is rather creative, for Liyuan opera, being a very ancient form of opera, might be too distant for many young people to be able to appreciate, especially how the characters in the show think and feel. By doing so, it somehow bridge the gap between the modern audience and the ancient roles of the opera. Besides the creativity shown here, I'm also rather satisfied with the performance venue. Liyuan opera is not known to be a opera featuring lavish set or grand casts, and I think the recital studio is just a perfect place for such a small-scale opera; the acting space is not too big, yet the lighting and sound facilities are good enough.

It's a pity I wasn't able to take pictures or do video recording within the venue itself, so for now, I'll just showcase two excerpts from this show, performed by Quanzhou City Liyuan Opera Experimental Troupe. The two excerpts here are "The Ball Game" and "Lian Hua Luo".



10 comments:

Miko said...

First of all, thank you for coming! I think you are the only person I know who is coming.

'Sad to say, not many people around me, including those who are into Chinese opera, are able to appreciate such opera, most claiming it to be too slow-paced.'

Yap, sad to say, It was a tough job trying to promote the ticket sales. People got the concept that it is slow so no matter what I say I can't convince ppl. Actually it is not THAT slow right. We have edited the scenes cutting out unnecessary details. My opera friends say they don't like to watch those 'yi yi ah ah' opera form.. so sad lor.

But overall I am still happy as the audience response was overwhelming! Glad that you like the show tho there are some minor mistakes here and there. I can't say it's perfect as there is always room for improvement. We are seriously short of actors. We can only find people here and there to fill in.

You know, it was very disheartening during rehearsal that we met so many problems that we were thinking of never to act liyuanxi again. think we will just concentrate on the promotion on Nanyin becuz lyx simply got no market here and there were alot of internal conflicts. no market, no actors.. cannot survive.. some more we need new costumes badly..

A.C. said...

Remember those "loonies" I told you about? They said the show's great. One even said wanna learn.. but not too sure if he said that in jest or what.. Among the crowds on that afternoon are some Japanese youngsters too. So far I don't remember seeing (or knowing) any Japanese youngsters amongst our audience..

A.C. said...

Oh ya, LYX I must support, because it's my "grandfather's opera".. hahaha.. =D

Miko said...

Japanese.. I also dun remember our show got any japanese.. anyway, just see how it goes lor. If cannot make it then too bad.. I too tired to do anything also. I feel like giving up everything altogether.

Miko said...

Hey.. AC, where u get these clips ah???? I dun have this show leh! My god.. u so resourceful!!!

A.C. said...

It's all in that DVD box set of Liyuan opera excerpts which I bought at Taiwan lor... I'm still waiting for all your other discs, because there're about 10 discs in total, can't squeeze into 1 disc

Miko said...

sorry la.. that time i lost sim card then i lost the address u gave me.. so i din send lor.. hahaha oops.. then i also think keep asking u like very paiseh so i didnt ask le..

dun mind u send me again~ I work just above post office and bookstore leh.

Miko said...

Wei wei... why never reply me.. ignore me ah?

A.C. said...

wait til i go online la... you want the whole world to know my address meh?

Miko said...

hee hee.. scared later got fans stalk u issit.. :P