Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ma Lan Goes Nanyin

Contrary to my other posts with similar-wording titles, this time round, I'm really going to blog about famous Huangmei opera actress Ma Lan singing Hokkien Nanyin! Well it was all part of a gala performance whereby famous Chinese opera (and may some folk music singers) get out of their usual opera and musical genre to sing in another totally different genre which they might not have touched before. I personally like Ma Lan singing Huangmei opera, and I think I should credit her for trying to sing in a dialect which was claimed to be one of the top 10 hardest Chinese dialects to master. However, to be real honest, I'm simply not used to her way of rendition.

1 comment:

Miko said...

ok.. erm, must credit her for trying out but she really sounds odd. Like the first sentence, she breathe too much and too loud ba.. and also nanyin don't usually use vibrato. There is too much vibrato then the yao zi becomes not so clear. My humble opinion... :D

Nonetheless, nice costume!!! like it!!